Author Topic: Order 66: The Great Jedi, er, BA Purge  (Read 47318 times)

Flash

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Order 66: The Great Jedi, er, BA Purge
« on: January 11, 2007, 08:47:15 PM »
Just to let people know, a lot of BA's (and just me in NC) have been locked out of BeerAdvocate tonight due to a tiff with Todd's wife, Emperor Candice, and their heavy-handed moderation and relative inconsistencies with their approach to users.

Not to worry though.  We're all holed up in an enclave plotting our upcoming revolution.  :D

Sad to see it come to this, but that's life.  I an be found on other beery sites like here (obviously), on Beerpal.com as "AKSmokedPorter", and on RateBeer as "19641948".

If anyone has any questions as to the backstory, contact a fellow NC BA and maybe he can forward you the BeerMail I had sent out to some concerning my "demotion" as Beerfly Guide.  It seems a swell of outcry (not to my doing I swear) has resulted in a purge this galaxy has never seen.

Cheers in all things beers,
Chris / Flash / Chewie / AKSmokedPorter
Nobody tells this wookiee what to do.

oldgrowth

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:07 PM »
Always nice to see you on RateBeer.

hoppedup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:10:25 PM »
I am going to wait a couple of days to collect some addresses, then I'm going to post some stuff on BA that will be quickly deleted and get me booted as well. I'm with you, Chris. Todd is an asshat.
Drink beer. Respect people.

EyeChartBrew

• View Profile
    • http://eyechartbrewing.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:22:03 PM »
Not sure if you remember meeting me and my wife at The Publick House (before one of the BA Belgian Beer Fests), but she was most saddened to hear about you getting the heave ho'...!

One of the main reasons why I'm pissed is that folks that *aren't necessarily* shit-stirrers (yourself, and a few others) have been unceremoniously shown the door for no good reason during The January 11th Massacre. I'm surprised I'm still "allowed" onto BA.com, to be honest. Gee, thanks.....

Anyway, just wanted to drop you a line, to let you know I got your back mate!
Cheers!
//TB

:coolbeer:
url=http://www.last.fm/user/eyechartbrew/]What ECB is burning his ears listening to....[/url]

Flash

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »
Dude, of COURSE I remember.  Your wife and I had a heartening conversation there including such glorious topics as David Sedaris and Nine Inch Nails.

Flash

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:39:42 PM »
Quote from: "oldgrowth"
Always nice to see you on RateBeer.

I lurk, though.  I'm a lurker.

But I guess I'll be including my non-NC beer reviews to be posted there in 2007.

Jonathan Surratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • beermapping.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »
:empty:

BigLove

• View Profile
    • http://www.biglovebeer.com
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 05:38:13 AM »
Chris,

Sorry to hear about this. 1st Venom then you and the rest of the 11th crew. Am stunned to know of this and glad I have some of you guys email addresses and such.

Will be backing up all my reviews and eventually contacting Jason regarding all this.

This has gotten out of hand and I no longer feel safe archiving my beer reviews on BA :(

Just a matter of who Candice gets pissed at next. Egad, if she has an account here, I might not even get my reviews backed up!

Sad to see so much time and effort on all our parts at BA to just be washed away at the whim of a man who is being controlled by his new wife. Nonsense!!!

I have to say I have not been impressed with RB so I lurk there rarely...maybe more so now.

Is a real shame because BA has always been a great resource. At this rate it is just a matter of time before it begins to affect their business. There may be 90k registered users there, but, the actual number who actively participate and contribute is far smaller. I quit donating after what they did to Venom.

Sorry to be so long winded, but, I am just blown away!

Travis
aka BigLove

Mashed

• View Profile
    • http://
Todd is an ASS
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 07:25:01 AM »
I had a bad experience with him last January and basically have not logged in their since. Unfortunately the site is more of an ego trip then about beer. To say the least Todd was exceptionally rude and I have no idea what started it as I almost never stir the pot.

Luckily this site is here and I truly don't miss the agitation of BA at all.

GCBrewingCo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 07:53:03 AM »
Wow does that ever suck! I'm at a loss.

:empty:

The site was down about 7 pm last night. Is that when it occurred?

Kolschboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 08:14:09 AM »
RUA Beer Geek?
I brew, therefore, I have homebrew.

cmaruschak

• View Profile
    • http://home.columbus.rr.com/themaruschaks/beerlists.html
BA definitely isn't what it was 2-3 years ago
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 08:14:42 AM »
I just wanted to throw a note of support out there for you Chris.
 :coolbeer:

Thanks for the heads up about this site.  I figured it was time to start checking some other sites out since I'm tired of hearing what beers are in the fridge of Chicago BAs [edit..provided as an example] and other posts like that with equally riveting content.
ou can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Frank Zappa

Jonathan Surratt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • beermapping.com
Re: BA definitely isn't what it was 2-3 years ago
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:53 AM »
Quote from: "cmaruschak"
Thanks for the heads up about this site.  I figured it was time to start checking some other sites out since I'm tired of hearing what beers are in the fridge of Chicago BAs and other posts like that with equally riveting content.

Just so you're aware: most of us don't like that thread either.

MashedAvenger

• All nerve, but not much sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:34:35 AM »
I've only had one experience chatting via email with Todd, and it was a negative one. What happened to Venom?

BeerPrincess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
I was just telling jsurratt and some other BA friends last night that I mostly use BA as a social tool.  And usually only really read the Chicago posts (except what is in their fridge, 'cause I only care about what is in mine).  

I don't care for Todd or what he has to say, review, etc.  I don't know what Jason is like, but it seems that all the deleting and degrading and demanding comes from Todd.  Maybe Jonathan should start another beersite and call it ex-ba.com.

I could be wrong, but I think Venom actually asked to be deleted from the site.